Christine L. Derr
Tampa family law attorney Christine L. Derr is a Board Certified Expert in Marital & Family Law. While Christine is known as a skilled litigator, she is equally adept at fashioning creative, mutually beneficial resolutions in mediation and through her Collaborative Divorce Practice.
While she is proud of her success in the courtroom, Christine's experience has taught her that the most advantageous way to resolve a case is usually at the negotiation table. Christine believes that the collaborative process is suited for cases where the parties seek a confidential, less contentious solution.
Regardless of whether a case is collaborative or contested, Christine puts in the same effort to analyze each case, get the right answers, and allow clients to make informed decisions. Christine believes that clients are in the best position to make decisions about their families and finances, and an attorney's role is to use her training, analysis, and experience to help navigate those decisions.
Background and Education
Christine was born in San Francisco, raised in California and has lived in Tampa since 1999. Christine received her B.A. with honors in history from the University of California at Berkeley in 1990 and her law degree from the University of Florida in 2004.
In law school, Christine served as judicial intern to the Honorable Alexander L. Paskay, Chief United States Bankruptcy Judge Emeritus for the Middle District of Florida, and as a research assistant to Professor Barbara Bennett Woodhouse. Christine began her legal career as an associate at Harris & Hunt, P.A., formed her own firm, Derr Law Firm for 9 years, then merged her firm to form Harris, Hunt, & Derr, P.A. in 2018, offering services to family law clients through multiple avenues of dispute resolution. Christine is a collaboratively trained attorney and also assists clients through mediation and complex litigation, when necessary.
Publications, Classes and Seminars Taught
- Safety Considerations in a Domestic Violence Case, Continuing Legal Education Course Taught, November 2017
- Guardian Ad Litem training seminar, February 2017
- Learn to Effectively Use a Guardian Ad Litem in your Family Law Case, Hillsborough County Bar Association Course Taught, October 2016
- Cast of Characters: Professionals in a Family Law Case, Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association Lawyer Magazine, 2013
- Alimony: 2010 and 2011 Revisions to the Statute and Future Trends, Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association, February 2012
- Why You Should Consider Using a Final Expert, (two-part article co-authored with Kristin DiMeo, CPA), Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association, November 2009 and December 2009
- Timing is Everything. . .Or Is It?, Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association, March 2006
Honors and Awards
- Admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court
- Recipient of the 2010 Theodore Millison Professionalism Award
- Recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine as a Rising Star in Family Law
- Top 50: 2018 Women Florida Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2018 Florida Super Lawyers
- Recognized as a Florida Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine, 2014-2018
- Recognized by Florida Trend's Legal Elite, 2011-2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Florida Bar, Family Law Section
- Tampa Bay Academy of Collaborative Professionals, Board of Directors
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Family Law Section
Executive Council, 2009-Present
- Stann W. Givens Family Law Inn of Tampa
Executive Council, 2009-Present
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Collaborative Law Section
- Hillsborough Association for Women Lawyers
Co-Chair, Awards Committee, 2018
- Rotary Club of Tampa, Board of Directors
Community Service and Involvement
- Pearl Society Member - Bay Area Legal Services women's giving circle
- Lawyers for Literacy, 2008-Present
- Pro Bono volunteer, Bay Area Legal Services
- Are You Safe, Inc., past Board of Directors
- The Tampa Connection, Class of 2010