Nicole M. Gehringer
Nicole M. Gehringer
Nicole Gehringer joined Harris, Hunt & Derr, P.A. as an associate attorney in 2017 practicing exclusively marital and family law. Her practice combines alternative dispute processes, such as mediation and collaborative divorce, with traditional litigation. Before entering private practice, Nicole was a Judicial Staff Attorney in the Thirteenth Circuit Court where she worked closely with several family and dependency judges to conduct legal research, counsel on a variety of complex and unusual legal issues, and draft proposed orders, judgments and memoranda of law. Nicole's prior experience provides her with unique insight into the decision-making processes of the judiciary, which can be beneficial in not only her litigated cases, but also her settlement-oriented cases.
Nicole received her J.D., magna cum laude, from WMU Cooley Law School, graduating third in her class with a concentration in litigation. She earned the Certificate of Merit (highest grade) in eleven courses and was presented with the Outstanding Scholar Award by Phi Delta Phi, a legal honor society. Prior to law school, Nicole graduated summa cum laude with a bachelor's degree from the University of South Florida.
Nicole is a native of St. Petersburg and still resides there with her husband, Kenny, daughter, and son. As a mother of two young children, Nicole believes in the importance of minimizing the negative impact of parental conflicts on children through efficient resolution and problem solving tailored to the unique needs of each family.
"Nicole was a beacon of hope to me at a time where my options seemed limited. Not only did she demonstrate excellent professionalism and efficiency, the sense of care and detail that she displayed truly made me feel reassured. I am forever grateful for her service and I hereby recommend her without reservation." - Y.
"[Nicole] was with me for a day long mediation that was difficult, but ultimately successful. She was clear on the facts of the case and the law, and was firm in looking out for my interests. She effectively engaged with the opposing attorney on some thorny points of disagreement...I strongly recommend Nicole Gehringer and the legal team she works with." - G.
- Western Michigan University, Cooley Law School, Lansing, Michigan
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Outstanding Scholar Award by Phi Delta Phi
- Honors: Certificate of Merit
- Major: Litigation
- University of South Florida
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Major: Criminology
- HCBA Marital & Family Law Section Chair (2019-2020)
- HCBA Marital & Family Law Section Officer (2017-2020)
- HCBA Marital & Family Law Section Executive Council Member (2010 – Present)
- Chair/Co-Chair of Pro Bono Committee (2014 – 2017)
- Florida Bar Diversity and Inclusion Committee (2016-Present)
- Vice Chair of Get Involved Subcommittee (2018-Present)
- Steering Committee for Florida Bar Path to Inclusion Symposium (2017)
- Florida Bar Wm. Reece Smith, Jr. Leadership Academy (2015-2016 class)
- HCBA Leadership Institute (2014 – 2015 class)
- Florida Bar Family Law Section (2010 – Present) (Children’s Issues Committee, Domestic Violence Committee, Publications Committee)
- Florida Bar Family Law Trial Workshop (August 2015)
- Florida Bar Family Law Leadership Retreat (September 2014)
- Stann W. Givens Family Law Inn of Court of Tampa (2010 – Present)
- Hillsborough Association of Women Lawyers (“HAWL”) (2010 – Present)
- Next Generation Divorce Collaborative Practice Group (2014 – Present)
- How to Open a Courthouse Lactation Room in 10 Easy Steps (co-authored with Lyndsey Siara), Daily Business Review (2020)
- An Update on the Thirteenth Circuit’s Lactation Rooms: Over Two Years Later and We’re Still Pumped (co-authored with Lyndsey Siara), The Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division Local Affiliate Spotlight (2019)
- Managing Client Expectations at the Outset of Divorce (co-authored with Nancy Harris), Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association (2018)
- Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Unveils Lactation Rooms (co-authored with Lyndsey Siara), Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association (2017)
- Co-spearheaded the opening of lactation rooms in the George E. Edgecomb Courthouse
- Lawyers for Literacy, Volunteer Reader
- Pinellas County Schools Lunch Pals Mentoring Program
- Hillsborough County Bar Association Law Week, Volunteer Participant
- Family Law
- Marital Law