Katherine C. Scott
Katherine C. Scott is a partner at Harris, Hunt & Derr, P.A. and has practiced exclusively Marital and Family Law for over seven years. Ms. Scott is experienced in litigating high end cases with complex financial and parenting issues, but she also focuses on the collaborative divorce process for settlement-oriented clients who want to resolve their disputes respectfully and privately, without going to court.
Ms. Scott prides herself on providing tough but compassionate representation to her clients. Ms. Scott feels privileged to practice family law because she gets to guide her clients through challenging times and often complex situations, and helps them move towards a happier and more secure future.
In addition to divorce representation, Ms. Scott has considerable experience in handling cases involving post-judgment and contempt issues and domestic violence injunctions. Ms. Scott is also experienced in drafting prenuptial agreements and postnuptial agreements.
Ms. Scott was selected as a 2017 Super Lawyers Rising Star in the area of Family Law. Only 2.5% of attorneys are selected for this honor. Ms. Scott is also rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell, a rating which indicates that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence. Ms. Scott holds leadership positions within the Hillsborough County Bar Association Family Law Section, the Florida Bar, and the Junior League of Tampa, and lectures at CLE seminars.
Ms. Scott earned her undergraduate degree from Emory University and graduated cum laude from Stetson University College of Law.
“I feel very well represented as she is so very knowledgeable. Katherine vigorously fights for me and my case. I highly recommend her!” – B.
“[Katherine] is reliable and trustworthy and her advice and judgment are on point. I am impressed with how poised, effective, and tough she is in and out of the courtroom.” – L.
“[Katherine] tried hard to settle [my case] to avoid litigation, but when we were unable to settle she didn’t hesitate and was quick to accomplish what needed to be done. She was proactive, communicative, had my daughter’s best interest in mind, and always gave the straight truth whether I wanted to hear it or not.” – L.
Awards & Honors
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, Family Law, 2017
- Best Lawyers, Family Law, 2017
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated, 2017 – Present
- Tampa Magazine 2017 Top Lawyers – Family Law
- HCBA Marital & Family Law Section Secretary (2017-2018)
- HCBA Marital & Family Law Section Executive Council Member (2010 – Present)
Chair/Co-Chair of Pro Bono Committee (2014 – 2017)
- Florida Bar Diversity and Inclusion Committee (2016-2018)
Steering Committee for Florida Bar Path to Inclusion Symposium (2017)
- Florida Bar Wm. Reece Smith, Jr. Leadership Academy (2015-2016 class)
- HCBA Leadership Institute (2014 – 2015 class)
- Florida Bar Family Law Section (2010 – Present) (Children’s Issues Committee, Domestic Violence Committee, Publications Committee)
- Florida Bar Family Law Trial Workshop (August 2015)
- Florida Bar Family Law Leadership Retreat (September 2014)
- Stann W. Givens Family Law Inn of Court of Tampa (2010 – Present)
- Hillsborough Association of Women Lawyers (“HAWL”) (2010 – Present)
- Next Generation Divorce Collaborative Practice Group (2014 – Present)
- Discovery: Responding, Avoiding, Complying, June 2017 (CLE Presentation to Florida Department of Health Attorneys)
- Complex Issues in Equitable Distribution, February 2016 (HCBA Family Law Section CLE)
- Alimony, April 2015 (Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Family Law Training CLE for Pro Bono Attorneys)
- Discovery: Responding, Avoiding, Complying, November 2013 (Basic Discovery 2013 presented by The Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education Committee and the Young Lawyers Division)
- Guest Speaker for Second District Court of Appeals Judge Daniel Sleet’s undergraduate Introduction to Law class at University of Tampa (Fall 2015 & Spring 2016)
- Hearsay Exceptions: Evidence in Contested Parenting Cases, HCBA Lawyer Magazine Summer 2015
- Kaaa-boom! Kaaa Case Resolves Conflict But Creates Questions, HCBA Lawyer Magazine May 2011
- Junior League of Tampa (2011 – Present)
- Leadership JLT (2013-2014 class)
- Lawyers for Literacy (2012 – Present)
*Prospective clients may not obtain the same or similar results.